Sunday 19 February 2012

Getting back to normal - for a start: Treating Madame Lapin: Part I

What with the BESTeam feature for February and the unexpected Versatile Blog Award, I have not been able to concentrate on my normal posts for www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com as much as I have wanted to.  However, I can now do so:  but before doing so, thank you all who so kindly sent congrats on the latter!

Madame (Mme) Lapin, having returned from her "Before" imaging procedure at Outsphere UK & Ireland a couple of weeks ago. has spent the time since languishing in the Soft Toy Clinic (Etsy Listing # 79124185) in company with Mons. Reynard,  However, last week-end, her rejuvenation treatment began in earnest - beginning with a thorough attack by me with my "Quick un-Pic" so that I could remove her Kapok stuffing and clean up her clothing and plush fur fabrics.

Everything original, except the carrot, was kept for ongoing treatment
Thus, here we have all the components for her head, including her original glass eyes.  The body, for the most part did not need to be washed, as it had been well covered by her clothing.  The carrot, although useable, was discarded.  After over 30 years, I felt Mme deserved to have a fresh one to hold, in due course!


In this picture, you can see (from top to bottom) her skirt, pantaloons, top of dress and arms (with paws attached), her brown felt shoes, apron and the body prior to being unstuffed.  The brown shoes were in really good condition, so, once unstuffed and re-filled, they can be used again.

Having separated all useable parts, except for the body, everything spent the night soaking in cold water in the kitchen sink.  Last week-end the temperatures here in the UK were pretty icy, so that must have been a shock to the fabrics involved.  However, over the years, I've found a long, uninterrupted soak in cold water is a great way to begin removing surface dust and dirt, prior to the washing process.

Next morning, before breakfast, I removed each piece - one at a time - and using a washing up bowl with lukewarm water and a delicate soapy detergent added, I gently rubbed them to remove the remaining surface grime. The soapy water was an "interesting" shade of light brown when I had completed that delicate task!  Having carefully rinsed all the pieces, I gently pulled them into shape and hung them individually on an airer, which I then suspended over a convenient radiator.

Hanging up to dry!

The fabrics involved are all seemingly made of cotton or a washable, man-made material, so did not take that long to dry.  So later that day, when my latest batch of ironing had been finished, I set out  to to flatten and prepare each piece ready for the next stage - putting Madame Lapin all together again.

Ready to be sewn together again - different colour eh?

Decorative ric-rac  sewn on with  - what else? French knots!
While waiting for the items to dry, I had de-stuffed the body and replaced the kapok used 30 years or so ago with the more modern, and infinitely more tactile, polyester fibre that I use nowadays for creating all the Cuddlies forms. 

Then comes the really fun bit - re-making the original toy.  The pantaloons got some new lace edging; and the apron was decorated with a Christmas theme.   Because Mme Lapin originally was a Christmas present for my sister-in-law, IvyM, and she also is one of those less fortunate folks who also has a birthday very close to that festive date, I felt it was appropriate that Mme Lapin should now  reflect the Christmas seasonal colours in her new apparel.   ( Incidentally, Mons. Reynard was sent at the same time, destined originally to my nephew (and her son).  This was because both our daughters and a neice who lived - and still does - in Canada had already got their own versions,  and I didn't want him to feel left out.    However, somehow, Mummy got to keep him!  (Now, does that sound familiar to any of you folks, I wonder?) 

This post has now gone on long enough, so I'll continue with the Rejuvenation of Mme Lapin in my next post.  Good night for now ... God bless too!  Isobel.

9 comments:

  1. Just wanted to stop on by and say "thank you" "thank you" for the Versatlile Blog Award - you dear lady! You made my day! I'm working on my post. :)

    I see, of course, you've been super busy, too, as always! Hope you get a chance to relax a bit this weekend....Best, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing how you lovingly care for these treasures. I can't wait to see her finished.
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isobel, congrats on the feature and the blog award! We've missed you over at Blogging Buddies and, after visiting another blog and seeing you there, I had to stop by and see what you've been up to! =)
    Glad to see that you're doing well. And I can't wait to see Part 2 of Madame Lapin!
    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the blog award. I love seeing the way the little guys come together. Looking forward to the completion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing, amazing work. So much work and love. Can't wait to see the rejuvenation of Mme Lapin.
    My best
    Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on winning the Versatile Blog Award. What a wonderful honor! It's so nice to meet you, and I'm looking forward to reading more from you in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulatins on the Versatile Blog Award!!! you have a very nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post as usual Isobel! Well done on the award, you surely deserve it! Sooo sorry for quietness, I've been travelling lots and had computer woes, never a good combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your blog award. You really deserve it and your dolls are always so amazing. I truly love reading and seeing the process of each doll.

    coffeebreakcrn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete